In an ideal world… yes, there would be such a clear distinction.
However, in the real world, lines blur and sexism is complicated.
Some people will actually say, ‘I hate this character because they’re a bitch and actually I hate most female characters.’ Then it’s pretty clear what’s going on there. And of course it’s better to criticise a female character in a less dismissive and more character-specific way.
But often people criticise female characters in a way that sounds more or less reasonable, and it’s just the sheer extent of criticism heaped on them and not on guys that lets you know Something Is Up.
'She's imperfect in these various unacceptable ways so she's an insult to feminism.'/'She's too perfect so she's a bad character.'/'She's an example of all the stuff that's wrong with the media's portrayal of female characters (and you see they have a point because it's not like the media's portrayal of female characters is all-awesome all the time… and yet wow, it's a dismissal seen a lot…).'/'She's such a cream puff (which actually, I've never seen applied to a dude, so… a lot of our language is gendered!).'/'She's such a Mary Sue.'/'I just have higher standards for women, so…'
There’s just Piles of This Around, so I feel like we all need to think twice before adding to the pile. (Not never ever do it. Just think.)
As I said in the last Feminism! tumblrpost, I am not here to tell anyone what to do: you don’t have to be okay with me, you have to be okay with you.
However, a possibly good rule of thumb, on top of asking ‘would I feel this way about the character if they were a boy’ and ‘why do I feel this strong urge to criticise this female character, is something going on here?’ is this… if you really really feel this criticism of a certain female character HAS to be made, why not go looking for that particular criticism of that female character?
I bet you’ll find it.
Pause on top of Ladyhate Bridge, and look down. Lots of people jumped off already. Maybe you’ll feel like taking a walk instead, along new paths.
- ourstolightonfire reblogged this from sarahreesbrennan
- rose-griffes reblogged this from sarahreesbrennan
- rose-griffes likes this
- celestialbound likes this
- thescarletqueen likes this
- phantompickles reblogged this from theladymonsters
- msninjafan likes this
- ogniokrzew likes this
- exalteranima likes this
- thymetraveler likes this
- reenalareena reblogged this from sarahreesbrennan
- chuplayswithfire likes this
- chuplayswithfire reblogged this from theladymonsters
- spikeghost reblogged this from theladymonsters
- theladymonsters reblogged this from saathi1013 and added:
- theladymonsters likes this
- revolution-valonia-mk-3 reblogged this from everbright-mourning
- everbright-mourning reblogged this from tygermama
- everbright-mourning likes this
- whencarnageoccurs likes this
- luckylikeablackcat reblogged this from saathi1013
- thefutureisyellow reblogged this from bisexualnedstax
- bold-sartorial-statement likes this
- tygermama reblogged this from saathi1013
- kaijuvsgiantrobotsvsme likes this
- raykowalski reblogged this from saathi1013
- laewyn reblogged this from saathi1013
- laewyn likes this
- mycluttereddesk likes this
- queeritupnow likes this
- sugarfey reblogged this from saathi1013
- charlietheskonk likes this
- quilleth likes this
- thewiggleofjudas likes this
- jabletown reblogged this from saathi1013
- bisexualnedstax reblogged this from saathi1013
- saathi1013 reblogged this from sarahreesbrennan and added:
- saathi1013 likes this
- whattheskell likes this
- octagonally likes this
- theh0wlinggirl likes this
- goodmorningvelma likes this
- waywren reblogged this from sarahreesbrennan
- waywren likes this
- blindmouse likes this
- shevralay reblogged this from sarahreesbrennan and added:
- shevralay likes this
- ladyknightthebrave reblogged this from sarahreesbrennan
- the-heart-of-my-mystery likes this
- melusina68 reblogged this from sarahreesbrennan